Monday, July 20, 2009

Music gives me the warm and fuzzies

There aren't too many things that I miss about living in L.A., however this past weekend, I realized how much I miss the Hollywood Bowl and their summer music series (actually, the music scene in general I also miss)! An evening out with friends, picnicking while watching the sun set and listening to some wonderful music was one of my favorite pastimes of L.A. (the only other event that can compare is Cinespia - watching classic movies in the Hollywood Cemetery).

I am happy to have found a place for me to get the warm and fuzzies over with excellent music. The Montalvo Arts Center is such a unique and incredible venue for music and arts. The venue was built in 1912 by Senator Phelan and is a center for creativity that offers art courses, gallery exhibits and concerts. Another trip just to stroll the grounds is highly needed. It's an intimate center where every seat is a good seat (general admission tickets are the way to go, we had nice seats but didn't need to pay the extra money for it) with acoustics that make it feel like they are playing just for you. My favorite was feeling like I was at someone's home instead of a "venue."

• the villa •

• behind the villa •

We went to see Ozomatli who is one of my L.A. favorite bands and have watched them perform a few times all over the L.A. area so to have them play close to my new home was so perfect. They took advantage of the intimate setting, performing into the crowd, bringing out their children to perform and they closed the evening with an impromptu jam session in the villa's courtyard. Even after their mini-jam session ended, they continued to hang out in the courtyard meeting all their fans.

• lead singer, raul •

• raul was cool •

• music makes me warm and fuzzy - although wine can help •

I have been neglecting my musical self while living in Santa Clara (there really aren't too many places that are close by) but I am releasing the inner-hippie in a few weeks to see Phish at Shoreline. I haven't been to Shoreline so am curious if I will like the venue. I am happy to know that there is a little gem of a place now in the Saratoga area that I am going to have to frequent more! :)

No comments: