Sunday, May 23, 2010

Not what I expected...

The husband and I are heading off to spend three weeks in Vietnam and it's going to be exciting to show him part of my history especially since he's never been. We're going to spend a few days alone in Hanoi before taking the train down to Hue (Central Vietnam) to meet my family (parents, sister are also flying out to meet us there) and then we'll spend another two weeks traveling Vietnam by van trekking down to Saigon before flying home.

One of the things that has been on my mind lately is allowing myself some flexibility with vegetarianism while in Vietnam (not with meat but having seafood). When I did my major three month Euro/Asia trip, one of the things that I feel I missed out on was the local cuisine especially since cuisine is a big part of any traveling experience. It has bounced around in my head about being flexible for this Vietnam vacation and I thought that it would be difficult breaking since I've been a vegetarian for almost six years. This past weekend, I did overcome that challenge and had a few bites of the husband's sashimi. I envisioned that the moment this would happen, my taste buds might scream in ecstasy and I would realize how much I've missed seafood. I was surprised to find that this didn't happen and the whole experience was quite "meeehhh." People tend to ask if I ever miss meat or seafood and after this past weekend, it's safe to say that I do not miss it*

So for this vacation, I feel comfortable allowing myself to be flexible if the situation calls for it (i.e. we are doing a two day boat cruise on Halong Bay where they make lunch/dinner from the fish caught directly off the boat) but I don't think that I will be going pescatarian any time soon.

*the only meat/seafood that I do miss is my mother's true/authentic/delicious vietnamese cooking...

• the boats heading out into halong bay •

• fishing boat delivering seafood to tourist boat •

No comments: