Wednesday, March 19, 2008

purging my life...

With each move, I take that as an opportunity to clean out the material objects in my life. Since the college days, I've lived in four places: my parents, my cousin's house (which was reverting completely back to the college days since it included the pool table, a go-go cage and random passed out people on the floor), the insanely huge apartment that I lived in but looked so empty due to the limited amount of furniture and the incredibly small apartment Marijn and I are about to leave. I'm now on my fifth move...we got a super cool and huge house in Santa Clara (complete with a personal hot tub in the backyard) and will be living there for the next two years.

Every move, I have always cleaned out parts of my past by throwing away pieces of history that only means something to me. It's cleansing to me, I think that it's my version of Spring cleaning. It surprises me at the amount of stuff that we collect in life and although it might hold some memory or two, it's only another object that will mean nothing later in life. I've become very good at purging things in my life. On my last move from LA to NorCal, I did a master clean and actually got rid of the ex-boyfriends of the past. I'm sure a lot of us hold on to a few things: pictures/letters/gifts. Maybe we hold on to this stuff to remind us of what we loved about the person or there is something that we don't want to let go of. I was still holding on to small gifts/knick-knacks/letters from my past relationships and couldn't believe at the amount of stuff that I held on to. I kept most of the photos but everything else found it's way to the trash bin. It was a new weight lifted from my belongs, eliminating things that no longer held a specific meaning.

Now on this next move, I'm going through the same motions. What else can I get rid of that I no longer need. I've purged the clothes that I no longer wear or are out of fashion. I've thrown the past relationships into the trash can. I didn't think that I had anything else to really throw away.

Did you know that since high school, I have held on to my movie ticket stubs? Weird, I know. I can tell you what substance I was on, how much alcohol was consumed or who I went with: date, solo or group. I always thought that maybe I would do something cool with them like align them all into a large frame or put them all in a huge vase and use them to anchor dried flowers. The tickets aren't only limited to movies but also flight tickets, concert tickets, bus tickets, etc. Why do I need to keep all of this? I can't get rid of the concert tickets yet but everything else I can't find the reason to hang on to them. I know that I will never get around to doing something cool with them, I've been saying it since high school! So now as I clean up my life again and start the moving process again, this move will be the purging off all the tickets of my life past.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I've always done the same thing whenever I move. It's like the opportunity to feel out whether something that once held a lot of meaning for you still matters. It's like emotional house cleaning, too, and I always look forward to it.

And how weird is this: I had a dream last night that Crystal and I were searching far and wide for a hot tub, and then the very next morning (er, now) I read that your new house has a hot tub. Maybe we'll also have to make a trip up to come visit you! :-)