Tuesday, May 12, 2009

L.A. Flower Market

Way back when we were planning the wedding, the ballooning cost was becoming more apparent as we figured out what our final bill would be (gulp). One of the cost cutting solutions was with our flowers and decorations. Our location was located in the mountains of Malibu and nature surrounded us so there really wasn't a need to spend lots of money on floral arrangements. We had twenty tables, six wedding peeps and our family members so if we went out of house to do that, the floral costs would have been way too high. So I decided to do the flowers myself (4 bouquets, 10 boutonnieres/corsages, 20 tables and sprinkles of decorations) and while I was in the process of making everything (including gluing my fingers together with the glue gun), I seriously thought that I was crazy for doing this task.

But it was worth it! Especially since L.A. has the most incredible flower market in downtown L.A. The warehouse covers about two city blocks (or so it seems) and it's full of everything related to flowers. Warehouses normally don't smell too pleasant but this one sure did (although my allergies didn't care for it). We spent about two hours wandering to see what was the freshest. Unlike most (crazy) brides, I did not know what our flowers/theme/colors were going to be. I had an idea of the flowers that I like working with but nothing was set until I saw what was in season. I think that this gave me more flexibility to have fun with the flowers.

• checking out the Gerbera Daisies •

• finalizing the bride's bouquet •

The final choices of flowers were: button mums for the boutonnieres, yellow carnations for the bridesmaids and white hydrangeas for my bouquet. Gerbera daisies were used in the centerpieces and tulips for our sweetheart table. In total, these flowers (including the costs additional material) ended up being about $200. Much less than if we went to a florist!

• the final flowers •

Instead of doing actual floral centerpieces, I decided that a low vase filled with water, floating candles and floating flowers would be the most ideal. They were simple, easy to set up and everyone loved them enough to take them home. Our guests loved that they could use it for anything in their home so they were all snatched up before the evening was even over!

• a small section of the dining room •

• close up of the centerpiece •

• my family with all the flowers I made •

I'm so happy that I made the decision to do the flowers, I have the battle scars on my fingers to look back and laugh (really, glue guns are way too hot) but I will look back at these photos in the years to come and it will make me smile knowing that they were put together with love and care (sappy).

1 comment:

Global Mobile said...

I believed till the week before the wedding that you were nuts for doing it yourself, but you pulled it off very well. i loved the end result.